Wednesday, June 13, 2012

New Retina Display Mac Book Pro


The New Retina Display Mac Book Pro



General thoughts:

Display: 2880 x 1800 is a wonderful new resolution to enjoy life in. I would love to get my hands on a 2k resolution file of Speed Racer to watch on this. I can only imagine it's a matter of time before we see 2k-8k resolution screens and TV's.

Power: 2.3-2.7GHz Quad-Core i7, 8-16GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and 1GB Video Memory. This will satisfy any power user or hardcore gamer.

Ports: USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, and HDMI cover the all the new basics. I'm not sure I see the point to the SD slot but I'm not a professional photographer either. 

Capacity: 256-768GB Solid State Drive. Plenty of room to run Mountain Lion and store a few things.

Battery: 7 hours. That's plenty of time to watch a few movies on an airplane.

Bells and whistles: 720p built in camera, multi-touch trackpad, back lit keyboard, 802.11 n Wi-Fi, and MagSafe 2 power adapter.


Thoughts on the irreplaceable parts:

SSD will be the standard hard drive for years just like Platter Hard Drives were and by the time a new standard takes place a new Mac Book Pro will be ready to go. Also you should be looking at External Hard Drives if you need more space as it is more practical and great for backing things up.

You will have to make a solid decision on RAM size for what your needs are. It's not too complicated to figure out what suits you best because even though you will be locked into Apple's ecosystem you should be smart enough or do enough research to be smart enough on what RAM size you will need now and into the future.

The only issue I really see is replacing the battery. As long as Apple doesn't charge more than a reasonable amount to replace them then this should be acceptable. I have replaced my 2007 MBP battery twice. Which is really quite a decent life span.

I am worried about the heat damaging the mother board. I had to replace that once in my MBP's lifespan. But for $300 through Apple to fix it that isn't a bad deal (this was in 2011 4 years after every day use of my MBP). If it goes out again I may consider another alternative.

This is a solid design of beauty meeting the beast and having a glorious love child and if I had the money to lay down for the animal I would. Presently I am getting by just fine with my 2007 17 inch MBP.

No comments:

Post a Comment