Monday, June 18, 2012

India And Tradition Utterly Baffle Me.

I just read this article about an Indian man who cut off his daughter's head because he didn't agree with her lifestyle. She divorced her husband and moved in with her parents. Then she started having affairs with 2 different men just weeks ago. The father forced her to come home Sunday and slayed her on Monday. India still has such traditions as arranged marriages and limits on where a woman can go beyond the house.

This to me is an extreme example of tradition literally killing the change that inevitably comes with every new generation. To force your tradition to that level is pure evil. I hope the man comes to a point in his life and realizes how wrong he was and helps other Indians see how his intolerance became deadly (all from behind prison bars mind you). I just want to understand why he thought killing her was the only option he had left. Isn't him murdering her joining in on the life he's condemning? Humankind just makes me laugh sometimes. I mean what else can you do when things like this happen?

What will it take to leave behind tradition that only stops us from moving forward into better progress of humanity?

Article I read:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_INDIA_FAMILY_BEHEADING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

No comments:

Post a Comment