Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Amazing Spider Man (And Why A Reboot Is Okay)


There is no denying we live in a world full of sequels and greedy people. There is no denying that Sony has been making mistake after mistake and the few things they have done right include buying the movie rights to Spider Man.

Spider Man 3 came out in 2007. So almost 5 years later a reboot of Spider Man is green lit. Right off the bat I know instantly that this is purely a money making move.

The Spider Man I know is the one they explored in the original trilogy. The Spider Man in this new set of I'm sure soon to be 2nd Trilogy, I don't know at all. I know a little bit about Gwen Stacy and her being the first love of Peter Parker. I'm sure at some point they will explore the Gwen and Green Goblin story in one of the movies.

Every bone in my body before ever seeing a trailer for The Amazing Spider Man was telling me I will never watch this Spider Man... ever. After watching the 4 Minute Trailer I am surprised to see that I think I will enjoy it. It's not the dorky Peter Parker I know it's the slightly edgier Peter Parker I know. And for once they are doing a villain in the light that they belong in, a dark one.

So what makes this reboot okay? To me it's okay because there is something possibly good here as far as story and characters. There is better casting. This is a retelling of Spider Man from a perspective I haven't seen before which was the correct choice over making Spider Man 4. (I say all of this after watching the 4 minute trailer.)

Expectations could have ruined this possibly wonderful movie (although I may be eating my own words if it turns out bad) as typically reboots are a rehash of the same story only slightly different. But if they end up being good then I can stand a reboot.

It seems that our culture may be hitting a wall of original content as everything has been done and we know what we like and we want more of it and the studios are happy to take our money with a reboot as proof take a look at Batman, Star Trek, and Fright Night (which is underrated btw).

I am curious how long it will be until we all get burnt out on Super Heroes as Zombie movies still seem to be going strong after all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment